What is a knee gel injection?
- Hyaluronan is injected into the knee joint. Hyaluronan is a naturally occurring chemical in the body that is used as a lubricant and absorbs shock in the knee joint. As such, for those who have poor quality of hyaluronan- such as those who have osteoarthritis- this procedure is done to aid in pain relief that can not be helped with simple pain medication or exercise.
Things to know before:
- For the following 48 hours after the procedure, avoid activities such as jogging, standing for a long period of time (over an hour), or lifting heavy objects.
Some possible side effects of ORTHOVISC can include:
- However, these side effects are typically mild and not long-lasting.
Cortisone vs Hyaluronic Acid:
- Cortisone- This injection is an anti-inflammatory that is used to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation for patients who have arthritis.
- Hyaluronic acid- This injection is a substance that naturally occurs in joints and bones and acts as a form of lubrication and absorbs shock. The purpose of this injection is to decrease pain as well as improve the function of the joints.
- One main difference between these injections is that Hyaluronic acid is not immediate- as it takes about 4 weeks to notice- however, it lasts longer than Cortisone.